Friday 2 November 2012

No Peace For the Damned by Megan Powell

Title: No Peace for the Damned
Author: Megan Powell
Series: Magnolia Kelch #1
Genre: Adult, Romance, Magic, Fantasy, Mystery
Source: Kindle
Pages:  259 pages
Rating: 3 stars

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
Magnolia Kelch is no stranger to pain. Beautiful and powerful, she’s spent her entire life at the mercy of her sadistic father and the rest of the Kelch clan, who have tortured her and tested the limits of her powers. After one particularly heinous night that leaves Magnolia nearly dead, she finally sees her chance for escape…

But this first taste of freedom is short-lived when she collides with Thirteen, head of the Network—a secret organization dedicated to fighting supernatural criminals—who recruits her into the group. Even as she’s coming to grips with this new life and the horrific memories that still haunt her, she’s conflicted by her growing attraction to fellow team member Theo and the emergence of new, untested abilities. After months of grueling training, her loyalty to the team is tested when she learns her target is the Network’s most wanted: the Kelch family.

Revenge may course through her veins, but so does the blood of the Kelches. And opposing her family may cost her the thing she treasures most. After all, Magnolia is still a Kelch. And the Kelch are damned.

My Review:
So if you don't know this by now, let me just tell you. I am a huge cliche lover... well, when it is done right. I like strong female main characters that have lots of super powers, fall in love with the guy they shouldn't, and end up saving the world. Of course, that isn't always the case with every book I read, and that's okay because everyone needs diversity. However,  No Peace for the Damned is one of those books. So, if you are not a cliche lover, than stop reading now... you wont like the book.

Like I said, this book is the embodiment of cliche, almost to a fault. The main character Magnolia (what kind of name is that anyways?) is the daughter of an abusive family who all hate her and try and kill her everyday...literally. Good thing she cant be killed, huh? Because Magnolia's family isn't normal... they're paranormal. Why, of course they are! They also happen to be, what the author refers to as, 'paranormal terrorists'. And, with any terrorist there is a section of the government that is souley devoted to stopping them... in this case, the Network.

Now I don't let my sarcasm fool you. I actually liked this book and I thought it was decently written. It was a nice short read that I read in between my classes on Wednesday and in an overall time of about 2.5 hours. Like I said, a short and easy read. It wasn't very original, but it embraced fantasy novel cliches and that's what made it good, you get what I mean? I loved how the main character is sassy and her powers are strong and unpredictable. I also thought that the relationship between the main character and the love interest could have been a little bit more subtle. Megan Powell literally wrote it so the first time she sees him, BAM that's it. The author knows whats going to happen, you know whats going to happen, Hell... even the CHARACTERS know whats going to happen. I like a little angst and subtly in a forming relationships.

So, as like all the books I review, I suggest you read it. If for nothing else than to tell me what you thought of it or to broaden your horizon and discover what you do or don't like in a fantasy novel. Over all, I'd give the book 1 star for originality but 3 stars for the overall material.




No comments:

Post a Comment