Tuesday 12 August 2014

Karma by Donna Augustine



Title: Karma      
Author: Donna Augustine
Series: Karma #1
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Fiction, Romance
Source: Kindle
Pages: 252 pages
Rating: 5 stars

Available at:

Blurb: (via Goodreads)
People say karma's a...well, you know. Personally, I don't think I'm that bad. It's not like I wanted this job. I wasn't even in my right mind when I accepted the position.

Now, I'm surrounded by crazy coworkers like Lady Luck, who's a bit of a tramp, and Murphy's Law, who's a bumbling oaf. But the worst is Fate. He's got a problem with transfers like myself, and I have to see him constantly. It's unavoidable. We're hunting the same man—my murderer.

My Review:
When I saw the cover for this book in the New Release section of Amazon, I was immediately drawn in before I ever read the blurb. The concept of this book was so fascinating (reminding me a bit of the movie The Guardians with Santa, The Easter Bunny, Jack Frost... etc) that I was surprised how few authors have written around the idea... or at least very few authors that I know of. Saying that, having found this original idea, I was ecstatic to read the book.

I am so glad to say that the book lived up to my expectations. Augustine's writing was exciting and riveting. She knew how to give subtle hints to the reader without exposing too much and to keep the reader interested. The plot seemed well thought out and developed into something much more complex than I had originally thought it out to be. The Universe is complicated; it makes sense that a bit of that complexity would seep into a story written about it.

Perhaps the most fascinating aspect of the novel would fall to the characters. To start off we have the main character Karma, and her love interest, Fate. Karma's development throughout the novel was outstanding. You can see her transition from her old life as a human, to her new life as an Unknown Force of the Universe (UFU). Not only her physical limitations and struggles, but also her mental and emotional transitions as well. You watch her struggles and you witness her strength as she over comes them. Fate's development is less obvious, but his development is no less important. It is done subtly, but you can see his feelings change toward Karma. You witness his confusion about how he should feel about her and you empathize with his uncertainty as a slew of emotions wiz past him.

Of course, we have our minor characters that show up as well. We get to see classics like Lady Luck and Death, as well as some less familiar faces like The Cat Lady and Murphy's Law. I feel the minor characters really kept the story going. Karma's excitement over Santa's existence to the fall out of her interaction with Cupid, these minor snippets laid the foundation of Karma's new world. I look forward to reading about more Unknown Forces in Augustine's sequel.

Overall, I have to say that I really did love this book. If anything, I'm sad I discovered it so soon after its release date, because now I have to wait an eternity before the sequel is released. This novel truly met all my expectations and even has the beginnings to my favorite kind of love story, hate that turns to love (am I weird for that?) The plot was well paced and fascinating, sneaking in new UFU's when it needed some filler (which I thought was a clever idea). The writing was easy and straight forward, but well done and captivating. An Easy 5 stars, and I cannot WAIT until the net installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment